Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Rhino 3D: Rebuild a curve

One thing that I like about Rhino is its ability to rebuild a curve or surface. The function of Rebuild in Rhino is most useful for me in straightening a curve or smoothing a surface. Here I would like to cite an example I found in Rhino 5 User’s Guide.

To make a curve smooth, I can rebuild the curve to remove excess control points. That means I have to select that curve and use the Rebuild command to reduce the number of points and set the degree. The rule of thumb in creating curves for modeling is: “Do not use more points than you absolutely need” as instructed in the user guide.
I can turn on the CurvatureGraph command to check the curves at the same time for smoothness. CurvatureGraph command can display the curvature graph. If the curvature graph is still not satisfactory, then I will move the control points until I have a smooth graph.
As shown in the below image, the yellow curve is a revised one from the green one. The point count is 12 and the degree of cure is 5. Looking at the white curvature graph, I can see the curvature graph on left end of the yellow curve is merge with yellow curve. It indicates that there is tangent or smooth transition from the yellow curve to its adjacent flat line.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment